By Tiffany Young
So, you’re thinking about entering Austin’s That Takes the Cake Art Show this year? Here’s what you need to know:
1. It takes place Feb. 22-24.
2. It’s got a new location: ACC, Highland Mall, 6001 Airport Boulevard, Suite 1199, Austin, TX 78752 (which is very near the hotel that is always booked for the cake show).
3. Early registration has passed, but regular registration is open until Feb. 16.
4. Entry fees are: divisional competition $25, showcake competition $25, tasting competition $15.
5. Registration info, rules and prizes can be found at Rules.
6. If you enter sculpted cake, it must be made of, well, cake. Otherwise, most entries can use cake dummies.
7. The competition is pretty stiff. Just look at that picture of Willie Nelson above. It’s not really him–it’s a cake. I know, crazy.
8. This year’s theme is cake of ages.
9. Your friends and family can attend: $10 per day or $17.50 for a weekend pass online through Feb. 16 or $12 per day or $20 for the weekend at the door.
10. Celebrities, such as Karen Portaleo, Marina Sousa & James Rosselle, Mike McCarey, Dot Klerck, Colette Peters, Nick Lodge & Lauren Kitchens and Dot Klerck will be teaching classes: http://thattakesthecake.org/index.php/classesandevents/celebrity-classes.
11. There are onsite competitions to watch on Saturday and Sunday.
12. There’s a lot more info over at http://thattakesthecake.org.
Hope to see you there this year!